Saturday, February 25, 2012

My Tablecloth

I was ironing one of my favourite linen tablecloths that belonged to my mum today......
Do you see what is in the top left hand corner?
It is a patch that has been sewn on to repair the cloth after something  happened to it....

I don't know what that something was  but my mum obviously loved this cloth too ...enough to repair it, to lengthen it's life.
or

was it just something she and many others used to do because it was a waste not to? 

So much of what we have today has a very short life span and is tossed into the garbage at the end of it's supposed used by date....

We don't darn socks anymore or patch jeans or do any of the many  tasks that our mum's probably did  to make something be useful for longer.

Sure some of us are good at "re-purposing" an item...that is taking something and often chopping , cutting or altering the item in some way and giving it a new purpose.
This is great and nothing at all wrong with  doing that...in fact we should do much more of it....

I just got to thinking about the length of life my tablecloth has had because my mum took the time to repair it.... no not it is not perfect anymore...

but it certainly does the job, gives me  pleasure,memories and never fails to be a conversation piece amongst guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and saying Hi....I love having your support. I will do my best to pop back to you and say hi. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...